This newsletter keeps you up-to-date with new articles, columns, and Web pages that I have written. I list and link most of these on my Diabetes Directory at www.mendosa.com/diabetes.htm
From time to time Diabetes Update may also include links to other Web pages of special interest.
My most recent contributions are:
on August 1, 2002
I'm sure that every one of you gets an annual eye exam. You are the elite, those people who control their diabetes. Unfortunately, the hoi polloi are different. I was shocked when I heard that less than half of all Americans diagnosed with diabetes have their eyes examined annually. To encourage the masses in this noble quest is the mission of the people who run the new Diabetes-Sight site for which I cite the URL, http://www.diabetes-sight.org. The URL for my column on the ADA Web site about Diabetes-Sight is http://www.diabetes.org/main/community/info_news/web/default.jsp.
on July 29, 2002
- Advanced Glycemic Load Data
A correspondent named Ralph Brown, who is an Excel expert, took the new table of glycemic index and glycemic load values (at http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm) and added new dimensions to it. He calculated the glycemic load of all the foods per gram or mL and per ounce. He also ranked the glycemic load of foods overall and within their categories. Along the way he discovered nine internal inconsistencies in the new glycemic load calculations. Then I studied the data and found six more inconsistencies. I have brought this information to the attention of the team at the University of Sydney in Australia that prepared the original table, and they are looking into the issue. Ralph's advanced data is on-line at http://www.mendosa.com/GI_GL_Carb_data.xls.
on July 29, 2002
- Encyclopedia of Diabetes
Here's a book that your library should have. Not your personal collection, but your city or school library. At $71.50 it's far too expensive for even diabetes specialists to buy.
The publisher, Facts On File, sent me a review copy of this 374 page hardcover book published in July. Written by William A. Petit Jr., M.D., and freelance medical writer Christine Adamec, this book covers more than 300 topics in entries that range from one paragraph to many pages.
The best part of the book is a 16 page history of diabetes. It's the best such history I've ever come across.
Useful entries cover acanthosis nigricans, brittle diabetes, and the dawn phenomenon. Many entries are sourced to the professional literature.
Less relevant and less useful are a four-page entry on Alzheimer's disease and somewhat shorter ones on birth control and thyroid disease. I would have liked to have seen an entry here on frozen shoulder, which people with diabetes have much more than others.
I was quite surprised to see nothing here the glycemic index and glycemic load or low carb diets. These are some of my biggest interests. Guess they haven't reached the diabetes mainstream yet.
on July 29, 2002
- Got questions about diabetes and insurance? Don't miss the current edition of Diabetes Forecast - Live! "Making Claims: Insurance Issues and Diabetes." Diabetes Forecast - Live! is a monthly webcast brought to you by the American Diabetes Association and the HealthTalk Diabetes Education Network. Hear experts explain your health care rights, how to deal with rejected claims, and resources to help get the best care for you. For more information, please visit http://www.diabetesforecastlive.com/edition16/index.html.
- I send out
e-mail in HTML format, which all Web browsers and most modern e-mail programs can display. HTML has live links to all the sites named in the text so that with a simple click of a mouse you can connect to the site you have just been reading about.
- This newsletter is free and will never include advertising. Nor will I ever sell, rent, or trade your e-mail address to anyone without your permission.
I send out Diabetes Update about once every two weeks. Previous issues are online:
- Diabetes Update Number 1: Diabetes Genes of December 10, 2000
- Diabetes Update Number 2: DiabetesWATCH of December 18, 2000
- Diabetes Update Number 3: Starlix of January 3, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 4: Native Seeds/SEARCH, Tepary Beans of January 17, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 5: Insulin Makes You Fat of January 31, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 6: Available and Unavailable Carbohydrates of February 15, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 7: Dates of March 1, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 8: Quackwatch of March 15, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 9: The Cost of Insulin of March 30, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 10: Sof-Tact Meter of April 2, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 11: iControlDiabetes of April 16, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 12: Cinnamon, Tagatose of May 2, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 13: Glycemic Index of May 15, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 14: Eat Your Carrots! of May 31, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 15: Glycemic Load of June 21, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 16: Homocysteine of July 2, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 17: Chana Dal Tips of July 15, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 18: Lag Time in AlternativeLand of August 2, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 19: Fiber of August 15, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 20: How Diabetes Works of August 30, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 21: Insulin Resistance of September 14, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 22: Trans Fats, Honey, CU of October 1, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 23: Pedometer Power of October 15, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 24: Is Glycerin a Carbohydrate? of October 31, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 25: Kill the Meter to Save It of November 15, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 26: Protein, Fat, and the GI of December 1, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 27: Insulin Index of December 14, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 28: Fructose of January 4, 2002
- Diabetes Update Number 29: Aspirin of January 14, 2002
- Diabetes Update Number 30: Stevia of January 31, 2002
- Diabetes Update Number 31: Gretchen Becker's Book of February 19, 2002
- Diabetes Update Number 32: The UKPDS of March 4, 2002
- Diabetes Update Number 33: Financial Aid of March 18, 2002
- Diabetes Update Number 34: Pre-Diabetes of April 1, 2002
- Diabetes Update Number 35: More Glycemic Indexes of April 15, 2002
- Diabetes Update Number 36: Gila Monsters of April 30, 2002
- Diabetes Update Number 37: Is INGAP a Cure? of May 15, 2002
- Diabetes Update Number 38: Native American Diabetes of June 3, 2002
- Diabetes Update Number 39: FDA Diabetes of June 19, 2002
- Diabetes Update Number 40: Diabetes Support Groups of July 1, 2002
- Diabetes Update Number 41: New GI and GL Table of July 15, 2002
This is a one-way "broadcast" mailing list that is not set up to accept replies. If you have any questions or wish to unsubscribe, simply write me at [email protected]. If your friends want to receive Diabetes Update, all they have to do is write me here.
Thanks for joining!